You don't have to spend a lot of money at a salon just to have a colourist do it and neither do you have to spend hours/days using developers or bleach, which is extremely damaging to the hair, you can simply use a permanent hair colour to achieve the ombre effect. I chose to use the Clairol Textures & Tones permanent moisture-rich hair color in the colour '6BV (Bronze)'. This permanent hair colour is also ammonia free, which is a plus.
Make sure that you carefully read and follow the instructions on the leaflet, especially if you're doing it on your own hair.
1. Mix the colour activating creme and the hair colour together properly.
2. Apply the colour to about 1 inch of the tips of the hair.
3. After about 15 minutes, apply the rest of the colour upward from end to approximately 3 inches, or to your desired distance
4. Let the hair colour sit on the hair for about 2 hrs, as this will give the colour enough time to take to the hair.
5. Afterwards, rinse thoroughly, wash and condition the hair, and allow it to air dry.
This is how mine turned out on Virgin Brazilian hair...
Hope that helped,